I suck at writing bios, so here’s 25 random facts about me:
- I started off as a Biological Science/Applied Mathematics major and then took a 180° into art.
- I’ve just moved to the Bay from Los Angeles.
- I’ve been working as a photographer and a retoucher for 8 years.
- I’ve spent a year living out of a backpack in New Zealand, Asia, and Europe.
- Beyoncé is the reason why I ditched my Apple Watch 3.
- I have a white, fluffy dog named Binky. He’s full of sass.
- I enjoy backpacking in which it’s necessary to dig a hole for #1 and #2.
- One of my favorite clients that I’ve worked with is LEGO. I got to photograph giant Hulk made from individual LEGO bricks.
- I sank waist-deep in quicksand while photographing portraits for a musician.
- Batman > Superman.
- MCU > DCU.
- My education is compromised of PBS, the Internet, and university of Anteaters.
- My parents forced me to be right-handed, as a result I’m ambidextrous.
- Pictures of my best friend are featured in the Apple Photo Booth icon.
- A client unknowingly helped me cross off a bucket list item by flying me out to a few remote islands to photograph bioluminescent plankton.
- I’m naturally a curious person who enjoys learning and subsequently falls into Wikipedia black holes.
- I started playing with Photoshop when it was in its third iteration. Layers were the new thing!
- I believe binging tv shows is efficient.
- I have an affinity for heights.
- Puns are fun.
- I’m in Gryffindor, Fire Nation, Hidden Leaf Village. I started with Charmander.
- I haven’t used a computer mouse for over a decade (Wacom Pen FTW!)
- I sit next a Forrest, not a forest.
- I’ve photographed 2 of 3 of my childhood heroes (Reading Rainbow dude and Bill Nye the Science Guy), can someone introduce me to Big Bird?
- My favorite meme is the one where Batman slaps Robin across the face for claiming “We can fix it in post.”
I’m currently freelancing as a photographer, retoucher and content creator. Samples of my work are available at: mellylee.com.
- Forever 21
- HarperCollins Publishers
- I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- University of California, Irvine
- Warner Bros.
Awards, Press, Things the Internet Has Said About Me:
2010 – 6th Annual Undergraduate Juried Exhibition
2013 – Rangefinder Our Pics of the Years | Best of 2013
2014 – Selected for the VSCO Grid™ | a collection of the finest mobile imagery on the internet
2015 – Complex
2015 – Acclaim
2017 – Adidas Stella Sport